Nov 14, 2013

UN-STUFFED CABBAGE ROLLS: NON-FASTING



Do you find yourself looking for a quick and easy, yet nutritious, recipe that you can confidently go to again and again.  Well this one does it for me.  I tried it recently and my dear husband and I just LOVED IT!  Besides being ultra tasty, I have learned that cabbage is a superfood containing many nutrients:  it is known to heal stomach ulcers and preventing cancer--especially colon cancer; it is a very alkaline-forming food that we should feel confident in eating often.

Ingredients:  1 1/2 to 2 pounds lean ground beef or turkey (I really liked it with the turkey), 1 Tbsp oil, 1 large onion chopped, 1 clove garlic minced (I used more), 1 small head cabbage chopped, 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) or 1 quart home-canned tomatoes diced, 1 can (either 8 or 14.5 ounces) tomato sauce, 1/2 to 1 cup water, 1 tsp black pepper, 1 tsp sea salt.  Note:  I also add Herbes de Provence or something similar, to taste.  Basil is also nice.  Basil is always nice with any recipe containing tomatoes in my humble opinion.

Preparation:  In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the ground beef and onion and cook, stirring, until meat is no longer pink and onion is tender/translucent.  Add the garlic and continue cooking for 1 minute.  Add the chopped cabbage, tomatoes, tomato sauce, pepper, and salt (and any well-loved herbs and spices).  Cover and simmer until cabbage is tender, about 20-30 minutes.  Keep an eye on it so you don't over-cook it.  Serves 6-8 depending on appetites!  Excellent as a leftover.  

Enjoy!

4 comments:

Rebeca said...

Oooh, thank you! I'm putting this in my recipe folder for a rainy day!

Mariposa said...

I have been looking and looking for this recipe....I knew I had seen it, but thought it was in one of my favorite cooking blogs, such as www.mennonitegirlscancook.com, etc.! Suddenly, it dawned on me...
"I think I saw it in Michele's blog!"......and sure nuf! Can't wait to try it....gonna have it for dinner tomorrow evening!!!!!

I guess it would be a good idea to put it in my recipe box!!!

Don't you think it's about time we get together....want to come for dinner some evening this week????? We would like that!!!!

Mariposa said...

BTW, Mariposa is Mary Schrock!!! :)

LOVEWILLFINDAWAY said...

Oh my, Mary, I didn't see this comment until now! Thank you so much for the invitation--soon as we can we'll be in touch so we can get together! So very thankful that you were able to visit with Claud yesterday.