Dec 8, 2013

VIEW FROM MY ROOF

dream-weaver

ONLY A MARBLE

(Note:  With the Middle East prevalent in the news, I thought I would share
this story about everyday life that occurred while we lived there some years ago)

After donning the Arabic scarf and long black coat, I trudged up the steep stairs, wondering what new experience life on the roof would offer today. Coming from the dark, cool interior of the two-story stone house, I emerged through the blue metal door with a heaping basket of wet, clean laundry.

With the final piece of clothing pegged onto the line and heaving a sigh of relief, I glanced at the various shapes and colors of laundry flapping happily in the wind under a flawless blue sky, knowing they would soon be dry. I could take a few moments to leisurely observe the world around me from my airy vantage point on the roof. New and unusual happenings occurred on a regular basis in the mile-and-a-half high city of this ancient Middle-Eastern country of Yemen.


city of sanaa--the daily beast


Many sounds were carried to me on the wind that day as I squinted at the piercing light and searched for their origin: the stentorian rhythm of the call to prayer from the mosque down the alley; a mother pleading with an errant child below from her latticed third story window; and the ululation of goats being led through the dusty street by a wizened shepherdess, her cry in competition with the mosque.

I turned around to find a pair of dark eyes watching me. A partially-veiled woman on the roof opposite was also in process of pegging laundry on this sun-splashed day. I smiled. She shyly returned my smile and tentatively held up her hand in greeting.

sanaa news

Nearby on the roof across from us both, I heard the sound of much yelling and laughter and found the source to be a group of boys who were excitedly playing at a game. As I watched, they seemed to be throwing something against the wall, then retrieving it—they were playing with marbles! What fun they were having at such a simple game. These people never failed to amaze me by their ability to savor the basic pleasures of life. It seemed living in one of the poorest countries in the world caused them to appreciate what they had, no matter how small or insignificant the item might appear to others.

Hadn't I previously seen some marbles scattered here and there on our rooftop? A plan formed in my mind, one that hopefully would show my desire for friendship.

After retrieving four or five tiny marbles, I called across to the boys, held one up and began lobbing them across the chasm separating us. Grins covered their faces and giggles erupted as their eager hands were held out to receive what was rightfully theirs. They yelled, “Thank you!” in Arabic, returned to playing again and I thought no more about it. The fact that it had been a simple gesture on my part made what happened later all the more remarkable.

Several days had passed when my husband, son and I piled into the Land Cruiser and were making slow progress over the heavily-rutted alley on our way to teach English. All at once our vehicle was surrounded by a group of dusty little boys who were excitedly jumping into the air and saluting me. Their leader was holding something in his hand and came near for me to see. What could it be?

In a flash it dawned on me! These were the Rooftop Marble Players, and somehow by my artless act of returning their tiny glass toys I had become their heroine. Once again the childlike simplicity of these people touched me deeply, for it would be unusual for children in my country to respond in this exuberant fashion to so small a favor. We were the only westerners living in their part of the city, and just days before the faces of these boys had carried looks of distrust, and even hostility, possibly echoing the feelings of their parents toward the unknown foreign neighbors.

As I pondered this new unaffected openness, I realized God is not looking for His people to be especially gifted or highly educated in order to serve Him, no matter where we are. He desires that we walk in humility, and show kindness to those around us. Simple kindness; as simple as a marble finding it's rightful home.

1 comment:

Rebekah said...

This is so precious!